Evolving the Production Company model
"When studios call 911, you guys answer."
We got a kick out of that (very generous) description.
Practical Magic builds upon the traditional idea of a production company by adding full-service, in-house "production engineering."
What does that mean? It means that we solve hard technical problems for studio-level media production. We build the things you see on set.
Our role is typically that of a full-service production company with an engineering division attached. We provide full-service studio-level media production for television, motion picture, and VR.
ProductionThe Bleeding Edge Stuff
Practical Magic leverages considerable in-house resources to provide complex motion picture, television, and VR production services.
- 4K/5K/6K Digital Cinema and VR
- HDR Acquisition
- Motion Control
- Drone-based Acquisition and Photogrammetry
- VR-enabled DIT and Video Village Tech
Post-ProductionIn-House HDR + 6K RT
Practical Magic's 16,000 sqft facility in Burbank includes full post-production services, with full editorial, VFX, and sound services on-site -- supporting everything from DCI to VR.
- Dual Fibrechannel and 10GBE SANs
- On-Premises 750+ Core Render Farm
- HDR-Ready Color Grading Suite
- 5.1/7.1 Mixing Room w/VR Audio Mixing
EngineeringBespoke Gear for Production
On the ground floor of our Burbank facility is an agile engineering lab focusing on rapid prototyping and deployment of entertainment-specific technology.
- Custom camera rigs, moco, and VR equipment.
- Rapid Prototyping (3D Printing, Metal CNC, Laser, more)
- Emergency-speed fabrication of "On-Camera" tech/parts.
- Custom Hardware Integrations with RED, Arri, etc.
Virtual RealityStudio-Grade VR
The challenges of VR are extraordinary, requiring solutions that do not exist in today's technology. Practical Magic's interest in VR is simple -- we're building tomorrow's VR solutions today.
- Moving VR Cameras (not static/tripod)
- Motion-Control-Driven Live-VR Viewing
- LatLong-Safe 3D Camera Solving for VFX
- Positional Audio Workflows and Custom Tools